If you need a little excitement in your current lunches, then this Southwestern Style Sweet Potato Toast is for you. Sweet potato toast is something I had seen around, but it wasn’t until I saw The Method By Tanya’s version that I was inspired to try it. Let me tell you, it’s an absolute revelation, and this is a great option for putting your sweet potato toast to work!
As a wife, mom, and wellness practitioner, I’m always looking to make sure the food in our home is really nutritionally balanced, yet delicious. As someone whose days are jam packed, though, I need the cooking process to be straightforward too. It can be hard to accomplish all of that at once, but but this Southwestern Style Sweet Potato Toast delivers!
It’s filled with so much fiber and protein (whether you add chicken or not… more on that later). What I really love though, from a nutritional perspective, is how many antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds are packed into each of these. Anytime something this nutritionally dense is an easy sell with the family, it’s a success.
It doesn’t hurt that these are painfully simple to make. Just throw your sweet potato toast in the oven, throw everything else in a skillet, and then put them together. It’s also a really good option for homes in which people have different dietary preferences. Just set aside some at the the end for the vegetarians and then throw some chicken into the rest.
Though the nutrition and practicality are great, the best part is how absolutely delicious these are!! There just couldn’t be a better combination of sweet and savory with just the right amount of spicy as well. The little bit of sour Greek yogurt thrown on top just finishes the whole thing perfectly so every single bite is packed with flavor.
Give these a try, and I guarantee it will completely change the lunch game in your home!
- ~2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (2 sm tomatoes)
- 2/3 cup diced onions (approx. 1 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro
- 3/4 tsp salt (plus extra for sprinkling the sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Optional: 2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Slice the sweet potatoes lengthwise, and lay on a baking tray
- Using 1/2 tbs olive oil, very very lightly coat each piece, and then sprinkle with a pinch of salt, and paprika
- Place in the oven for 15-20 min, flipping over halfway
- While the sweet potato is in the oven, heat 1 tbs of olive oil in a large skillet
- Saute the minced garlic and onions until the onions brown
- Add the tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, salt, cumin powder and paprika and allow to cook
- Once the tomatoes soften, add the kidney beans and 2 tsp vinegar and bring to a simmer for a couple minutes to thicken
- Optional: At this point, you can add in the chicken, if you would like- be watchful because it will cook extremely quickly!
- Remove from heat, and evenly distribute the Southwestern topping between the slices of sweet potato toast
- Combine the Greek yogurt with 1 tsp of vinegar and salt (to taste), and put a dollop on each Southwestern Style Sweet Potato Toast