When I hear the term “burger,” beetroot is definitely not what I think of, but these Beetroot Feta Burgers have changed that! They just have the most incredible texture and flavor that it’s hard to believe that they’re completely vegetarian, and grain free.
The best part is that they also happen to be filled with so much concentrated nutrition. Tons of fiber, folate, iron, Omega-3, vitamin C, and protein make these Beetroot Feta Burgers an excellent addition to any meal.
These are incredible on their own with some of the Lemon Garlic Sauce on the side, on top of a salad, in a wrap or, of course, on a bun with lots of toppings. They also hold up well for a couple of days so you can make them one day and repurpose them the next!
To really get the best possible texture out of your Beetroot Feta Burgers, make sure to really get out as much moisture from the beetroot as possible after shredding it. It also helps to really allow it time on the skillet with the onions.
- 1 1/2 cups beetroot, shredded and with the juice removed (Approx 1 large beetroot, or 2 regular sized ones)
- 1 1/2 cups onions, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 4 1/2 tbs very hot water
- 1 1/2 tbs flax meal
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp oregano
Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Make your flax egg: combine the flax meal and water in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Spread the diced onions evenly in a large skillet, over medium heat, and allow to cook.
- In the meantime, shred the beetroot, and use a cheesecloth to remove as much moisture as you possibly can.
- Measure out the dry, shredded beetroot, making sure to really pack it down with the back of a spoon.
- Once the onions begin to turn brown and slightly crisp, add the beetroot to the skillet, mix thoroughly, and spread the mixture out.
- Allow the beetroot and onion mixture to cook for a few minutes, then mix again, and re-distribute. Repeat this step a couple times until the beetroot dries out and all the onion turns pink.
- Shift the mixture into a large bowl, and mix in the salt, oregano, and flax egg
- Once the mixture has cooled down a little, add the feta, making sure to mix thoroughly until it’s well incorporated.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Using your hands, form 4 tightly packed patties
- Place the patties in the skillet, cover, and allow to cook for a few minutes. Then flip over, and repeat on the other side (you’ll know they’re done when they appear slightly charred).
- Remove from heat and enjoy, accompanied by the Lemon Garlic Sauce!