A lot of the time, breakfast can be a rushed affair- something light and quick before you start the day. But on weekends and holidays, when you’re ready to sit down as a family, and take things a little slower, this Sweet Potato Brunch Skillet is everything you could possibly need!
Of course, the more versatile the dish, the better… and this one definitely wins in that department! If you go in for the whole deal, then it’s a heavy duty blend of savory peppers, eggs, cheese, and sweet potatoes, punctuated with bits of crispy bacon, that couldn’t be better suited for an indulgent Sunday morning.
Skip the cheese and bacon, and you’ve got a hearty yet healthy breakfast option, loaded with protein, fiber, and loads of vitamins and minerals. You could skip the eggs, too, and enjoy as a totally vegetarian, totally delicious breakfast, as a side at dinner time, or even on its own for lunch, served with some greens.
The options are limitless, but no matter how you try this recipe, it’s guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family!
- 3 cups diced sweet potato
- 2 cups sliced colored peppers (red, yellow, or orange work best!)
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup chopped bacon (tip: skip to make it vegetarian!)
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 4 eggs (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add 2 tbs olive oil, 3 cups diced sweet potatoes, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- Toss gently until the sweet potato starts to brown, then cover and allow to cook further
- In a separate skillet, add 1 tbs olive oil, chopped bacon, and minced garlic
- Once the bacon cooks about halfway, add the sliced onion and peppers, and sautee until the onions turn translucent and the peppers fully soften
- Uncover the sweet potatoes, add the bacon and pepper mix to the large skillet, as well as the kidney beans, and 1 tsp of salt, and stir well
- Once the sweet potatoes have fully softened, and all the ingredients are well combined, remove the skillet from heat
- Optional: Create four wells, and crack one egg into each, and then top with the shredded cheddar cheese
- Place in the oven, and bake for roughly 10 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted and the eggs have cooked