I enjoy a good bowl of oats but I absolutely LOVE this grain-free power breakfast! Absolutely delicious, loaded with the anti-inflammatory benefits of omega-3s, an entire serving of vegetables, and, most importantly: so easy to make.
The secret ingredient: cauliflower! In a time when cauliflower can do anything, it’s also the perfect way to achieve a filling breakfast with a fraction of the carbs of traditional oats and porridges. It’s also a fantastic way to sneak in an extra serving of vegetables, which I’m always looking to do (often in unusual ways!).
In case you need any more convincing to give this recipe a go, it’s also unbelievably easy. The hardest parts are just deciding what consistency is right for you and, of course, what toppings you want to serve it with. For my son, it’s peanut butter and sliced bananas, for me, it’s some extra flax seeds, but anything goes!
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 1/2 very ripe smashed bananas
- 1/3 cup crushed walnuts
- 1/2 tbs flax seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Place a saucepan on medium heat
- Add all the cauliflower rice and 1/2 cup almond milk, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens
- As the moisture begins to evaporate, add in remaining almond milk, bananas, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, and allow to simmer until desired consistency is achieved
- Stir in flax seeds and maple syrup, and enjoy hot!