If you’re craving something sweet, looking for some excitement at snacktime, don’t have access to fresh strawberries, love chocolate, or are struggling to get your kids to eat fruit, then these Frozen Chocolate Covered Strawberries are for you… sooo basically they’re for everyone!
They also take under five minutes to make, and are ready to eat immediately, unlike traditional chocolate covered strawberries, which is a BIG win!
There’s a lot of controversy out there about frozen fruit, but the reality is that if it’s unsweetened, then it’s as least as good for you as fresh fruit. Generally, when fruit is frozen, it’s done at the height of ripeness (and optimal nutritional value), where as fresh fruit has to go through transportation and other variables, so there’s not as much control over when you’re getting it. Plus, of course, given current circumstances, frozen just might be more practical than fresh right now!
This sweet treat combines the antioxidants and fiber from the strawberries with the antioxidants found in dark chocolate (it does have to be at least 70% dark!), as well as healthy fats from both the chocolate and the tiny bit of coconut oil that’s in there.
All in all, this is one snack that really packs a punch, both nutritionally, and taste-wise, and with such a quick, easy prep process, you really can’t go wrong.
- 12 frozen strawberries (unsweetened)
- 40g dark chocolate (70% or higher)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Place your dark chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe dish, and microwave or place in a pre-heated oven until melted, removing to stir every 20 seconds
- Dip each frozen strawberry into the melted chocolate, and then place on wax paper to set (the chocolate shell will form almost instantly)
- Enjoy immediately, or store in the freezer.